Large printed circuit boards (PCB) require a mechanical stiffener to eliminate warp and bow which is often present. This is a must for good guidance of a PCB into an edge connector and for reliable operation afterward.
Why use a PCB Stiffener?
- Reduce warp and bow when handling large PCB.
- Eliminate dangerous deflection due to vibration and bending.
- Assure good guidance of a PCB into its backplane connector.
Advantages that may improve your design:
- Same bar will mount on PCB's with different hole locations.
- Eliminate close tolerances between mounting holes on PCB's.
- In most cases, the PCB stiffener will occupy less precious real estate on the board.
- Can be mounted over insulated spacers to clear copper traces or wire adds.
- Can be anodized different colors for coding.
- Ideal PCB label area, when used on read edge of the PCB.
- Strong and light weight.
- Clean, professional appearance.
- Rivet mounting reduces assembly time.
- Can also be used as a heat sink or power/ground bus. (Use metal spacers and washers.)